Who isn’t a kale lover nowadays? Granted it’s not my favorite by a long stretch, it can be quite delectable if it’s dressed up. Kind of like finding that perfect accessory to pair with that dress. One of my favorite ways is in this Caesar salad. For this recipe, I opted for the whole egg yolk that has all those glorious proteins & heart-healthy polyunsaturated fats, however if the thought of eating raw egg makes you uneasy, 2 tablespoons of pasteurized egg product works too. So long as you go the “extra mile” by using real Parmigiano-Reggiano that will cost and taste a whole lot better than the stuff in the green package (no hate, just sayin’). Other than being a great “dupe” for the traditional Caesar salad, this version is better done ahead as the flavors begin to mingle and the kale has time to wilt to a softer texture that would otherwise cause the typical lettuce to become soggy. To make it a full meal, slices of grilled chicken would be fantastic paired with this kale Caesar salad. Enjoy!
Makes about 4 servings.
Caesar Salad Dressing
- 1 raw egg yolk (or 2 tablespoons of pasteurized egg product)
- juice of 1 lemon
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 garlic clove, mashed into a paste
- 3 anchovy fillets, finely minced
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup freshly grated Parmigiano-Regianno, plus more for garnish
- black pepper and salt, to taste
- 1 lb. kale, trimmed and thinly sliced or chopped
- 1/2 English cucumber, sliced into half moons
- 1/2 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
Whisk together all ingredients except for cheese and olive oil. Slowly drizzle or stream in olive oil until homogenized. Stir in cheese and taste for seasoning. Toss with kale, cucumber, and tomatoes. Allow to marinate for about 30 minutes.
Whole Wheat Italian Croutons
- 3 slices whole wheat bread, cubed
- 2 tablespoons freshly grated Parmigiano-Regianno
- 1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon granulated garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 1/2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- salt and pepper, to taste
Preheat oven to 375F (190C).
Toss all ingredients together until thoroughly coated. Spread into a single layer on a baking pan and bake until golden brown and crisp, about 8-10 minutes. Allow to cool and toss with salad.