Sorry for the MIA but life has finally decided to simmer down (no pun intended!) so let’s just get straight into the recipe!
- 1/2 cup raw walnuts, roughly chopped
- 1/2 cup raw unsalted sunflower kernels
- 1 3/4 cup old-fashioned rolled oats
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons chia seeds
- 1 1/4 cups dried figs (or pitted dates)
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/3 cup dried cranberries
- 1/3 cup dried apricots, finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse salt
Preheat oven to 375F (190C). Line a 8 inch (20 cm) x 8 inch (20 cm) square baking pan with parchment paper. Set aside.
Disperse oats on a large baking sheet in a single layer, leaving one half of the pan empty for the nuts and seeds later. Bake oats for 15 minutes or until slightly golden and toasted. During the last 8 minutes, add walnuts and seeds in a single layer and continue baking. Meanwhile, prepare the dates.
Puree figs using a food processor until it forms a sticky congealed mixture that begins to form a ball during processing. Add to a large bowl along with the rest of the ingredients and mix thoroughly using your hands. Press firmly into the prepared baking pan until very compacted and flat. Remove from pan and slice.