Good Morning! When I first developed this experimental recipe, I honestly didn’t know what to expect, and of course, I chose the perfect opportunity when there were guests coming over for this past Memorial Day weekend. Despite my doubts about a “healthified” dessert & a disheartening loss for OKC, victory may not have been sweet but at least this pie was! I varied the amount of sugar you can add or not depending on how sweet you like your pie, but regardless, this came out tasting like a very decadent chocolate truffle.
Makes 1- 9 inch (23 cm) pie
Chocolate Pecan Crust
- 1/4 cup (40 g) pecans, toasted and finely chopped
- 1 cup graham cracker crumbs
- 2 tablespoons (30 g) granulated white sugar
- 1/4 teaspoons coarse salt
- 2 tablespoons (15 g) cocoa powder
- 5-6 tablespoons coconut oil, melted
Preheat oven to 350F (180C).
Mix together ingredients until you have a wet, sandy mixture and press firmly into a 9 inch (23 cm) ungreased pie tin. Bake for about 10-12 minutes or until slightly golden around the edges. Cool completely.
Fudgy Chocolate Filling
- 1- 14 oz. silken tofu, drained
- 1-1/2 cups coconut milk (full fat or light)
- 2 teaspoons agar flakes (or gelatin if you’re not vegan)
- 1/4 cup (50 g) to 1/3 cup (75 g) granulated white sugar (depends on your desired sweetness)
- 2 tablespoons (15 g) unsweetened cocoa powder
- 8 oz. bittersweet 60% cacao chocolate
- 1/4 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Topping: toasted coconut flakes
In a food processor, puree tofu until smooth. Pour into medium saucepan along with coconut milk, agar agar, sugar, cocoa powder, and salt. Heat over medium heat until mixture is smooth, sugar and agar agar have dissolved, and thickens slightly. Allow agar agar to activate, 2-3 minutes. It should be hot enough at this point to pour over the chocolate and melt it gently. Stir until chocolate has melted and add vanilla extract. Then pour filling into reserved pie shell and allow to set. Once cooled to room temperature, top with toasted coconut flakes and refrigerate until firm. Enjoy!